You are advised to approach your supervisor and/or head of department to find out about departmental funding support. Funds may be available for specific research programmes or projects. Refer also to section 3 of booklet 14.
Process for departmental scholarships
- Students approach their supervisor/co-supervisor and or head of department (now referred to as the fund holder).
- If successfully awarded, a PG002 claim form (which can be downloaded from the UCT administrative forms page) should be completed by the student and fund holder.
- The fund holder must make sure that all required funds have been transferred to their Departmental Scholarship Fund in SAP, ready for disbursement.
- The original PG002 claim form and proof of secured funds in SAP (as stipulated in 3 above) together with ink signatures of both the student and fund holder must be submitted to the Postgraduate Funding Office (PGFO) for processing via the student’s fees account.
- Any remaining credit balance after disbursement (as stipulated in 4) will be transferred to the student's personal bank account.
- Students must make sure that their banking details have been captured in their self-service profile in PeopleSoft.
- Payment of departmental scholarships takes up to 1 week to be processed depending on whether items 3, 4 and 6 have been met.
- Departmental scholarships cannot be processed unless a student is registered for the degree for which the scholarship is offered.
- A departmental scholarship cannot be processed if an active UCT student fee account has not been generated.
- Students may monitor their ‘to do list’ via their PeopleSoft self-service profile to be notified of delays affecting the processing of their departmental scholarships.
- If the departmental process (see 3 above) is not yet complete and the student is in urgent need of funds for living expenses, a cash allowance form – PG018 may be completed for a minimum of R10 000. The PG018 authorises a cash allowance against a guaranteed fellowship/scholarship/bursary. The form may be downloaded from the UCT administrative forms page.
- The original claim PG018 form together with the ink signatures of both the student and fund holder must be returned to the PGFO for processing via the student’s fees account.
- On completion of disbursement of funds the PGFO will refund the credit balance to the student's personal bank account.
- Students must ensure that their banking details have been captured in their PeopleSoft self-service profile.
- Cash allowances cannot be processed unless a student is registered for the degree for which the scholarship is offered.
- A cash allowance cannot be processed if an active UCT student fee account has not been generated.
It is important to note that no claim forms submitted via fax or email will be accepted.