COVID-19 protocols at UCT

  • Does UCT have a COVID-19 Support Plan for students?

    Yes, at UCT we take the health of students very seriously. The Department of Student Affairs and Student Wellness Service aim to provide support to students during the COVID-19 pandemic. You will be given information about the prevention of COVID-19 prior to arrival. Support includes symptom screening on arrival in your residence. Learn more about our plans to keep students and staff safe.

  • Who do I contact if I have COVID-19 related query while at UCT?

    We have a dedicated staff of health professionals who can help you with many medical queries. You can book a consultation with a healthcare professional with the Student Wellness Service.

    COVID-19 24-hour hotline: +27 21 650 1271

    Triage line: +27 21 650 5620 (during office hours)

Careers Service

  • What is the UCT Careers Service?

    The Careers Service is a free service to support all UCT students with information, advice and access to opportunities and events to further develop their career ideas. Whatever your degree choice, year of study or career ambitions, we are here to assist you in realising your goals and aspirations.

  • How do I look for part-time job opportunities as a student?

    Once you are a registered UCT student you can visit the MyCareer portal.

    Part-time jobs are advertised on this portal, but you can also book a consultation.

  • What does the Careers Service offer?

    Our services are free to UCT students. We offer one to one consultations, workshops, webinars and resources to help you with everything from creating a CV to preparing for interviews. We host employers who recruit UCT students at expos and offer practice interviews with real employers. Our webinars feature graduates in interesting careers or experts giving tips for job applications. MyCareer, our student portal advertises graduate and part time jobs, bursaries, scholarships and competitions. You can also use it to book consultations and book for events.

  • How do I get help with my CV or cover letter?

    You can check our CV resources on the Careers Service website.

    Start by watching our CV mini-series. Once you have covered the basics, if you are a registered UCT student you can make an appointment with a career advisor to discuss any improvements.

  • How do I contact the Careers Service?

    If you are a UCT student use the "Ask a question" tab on MyCareer.

    You can also visit the Careers Service website, email us at or phone us on +27 21 650 2497.

  • Which events are organised by the Careers Service?

    We host employer events, career conversations with graduates, entrepreneurship competitions, practice interviews with employers and many more. Once you have registered you can visit MyCareer for more information about what will be on in 2021.

  • What are UCT graduates currently doing?

    Many of our graduates have been highly successful and you can be too. To find out more about these success stories visit the UCT Graduate Gallery.

  • What jobs can I do with my degree or subject?

    You have more options than you think, not only the ones that are obvious from your degree. View some of the options related to subjects. Please note that careers are not only about what you studied, but also about your employability skills. They are very important in widening your options.

    See the Graduate Gallery for what led some graduates into their careers.

    Once accepted to UCT, you can make an appointment with a career advisor to get help to research your career options.

  • Is it a problem if I have no idea what career I want to pursue do yet?

    No, this is not a problem, especially in first year. The most important thing is to settle into your degree and university life. The careers service has a lot on offer to help you to research your options. Once you are registered, if this is worrying you, or you want to start exploring your options, make an appointment with a career advisor.

  • What should I do if I do not like the degree I have been accepted for?

    If you have a firm offer, but it is before you start at UCT, email, state your student number and what you have been accepted for, and we will arrange an appointment with a career advisor. If you have registered, book an appointment directly with a career advisor. They will help you explore your reasons and any assumptions you may be making about your course and then help you to decide on your next steps.

  • If I am unhappy with the degree I am doing, can I change my degree once I have started?

    The deadline to change subjects is a week after lectures begin. To change degrees completely will depend what Faculty you are in and whether you meet the requirements for what you want to change to. Sometimes you can get credits for courses you have already done in another degree, but you will need to check this with your Faculty. Once you are a registered student, you can talk about this to a career advisor, or a curriculum advisor in your Faculty. Log into MyCareer to book an appointment with a career advisor.

    I want to be an entrepreneur, does the Careers Service offer any advice or support?

    This is a growing area of work for us. We are part of many entrepreneurship competitions both at UCT and nationally, and we can put you in touch with a support network. If you would like to know more, log into MyCareer and use the "Ask a Question" tab.

Disability Service

  • If I have a physical disability, can I apply for extra time for tests and exams?

    Yes. The first step is to register with the Disability Service who will help you make an appointment with a Student Wellness Medical Practitioner. This person will do an assessment of your disability and then make a recommendation for assistance at the Disability Service. To register with the Disability Service, send an email to

  • Is there any software available to assist students with dyslexia or other specific learning disabilities?

    Yes, TextHelp Read and Write software is available as a free download for UCT staff and students from the ICTS downloads page. Contact Denise Oldham, the Direct Services Specialist at the Disability Service, for more information.

  • Can I volunteer to assist at the Disability Service?

    Yes, if you are a registered UCT student there are a variety of volunteering opportunities available, including Advocacy, Barrier Free Accessibility and Specialised Support Assistance. Contact Denise Oldham, the Direct Services Specialist at the Disability Service, for more information.

  • Is UCT accessible for wheelchair users and persons with mobility impairments?

    UCT Campuses and Residences are relatively accessible for wheelchair users and persons with mobility impairments. UCT is continuously improving accessibility for persons with disabilities (UCT has a special UCT shuttle for students with mobility impairments) therefore, it is advised to verify accessibility with the Barrier-Free Access Specialist via email or on +27 21 650 5090.

    View the UCT Upper Campus wheelchair access map and the access and amenities guide.

Dealing with Sexual and Gender-Based Violence (SVGBV)

  • How does UCT support victims of gender-based violence?

    SVGBV cases can be reported to the Office for Inclusivity & Change (OIC) or you can call the 24-hour OIC Standby Line on 072 393 7824 or the Survivor Support Office Landline (08:40 – 16:00) on +27 21 680 3530.

  • What Survivor Support Services does the Office for Inclusivity and Change (OIC) offer?

    • Psychosocial Support within the OIC
    • Trauma Debriefing & Containment
    • Individual Wellness Counselling
    • Weekly Survivor Support Groups
    • Group or Department Debriefing/training
    • Compassionate Consideration Requests: Academic Concessions and/or special requests to UCT Student Housing
    • Referrals to Student Wellness for Psychosocial Support
    • Referrals to external Stakeholders: SAPS/FCS (reporting/opening a criminal case) and Rape Crisis (psychosocial and court/trial support)
    • Other survivor support services are case dependent
  • Where can I find out more about survivor support at UCT?

    You can contact Yumna Seadat at the Office for lnclusivity and Change (OIC).

  • Who can report SVGBV?

    • A survivor: a person or persons who have directly experienced the incident/trauma relating to SVGBV, and/or discrimination
    • A complainant: an individual who is lodging a written or verbal complaint of SVGBV to the OIC, either in person, or by means of the OIC online reporting system, or through email, against a person or persons who have allegedly committed an act of SVGBV and/or discrimination.
  • Who is referred to as the respondent?

    A person against whom a written or verbal complaint has been lodged with the OIC, either in person, of by means of the OIC online reporting system, and alleged to have committed an act of SVGBV

  • Is the complainant or survivor’s information confidential?


  • Can the survivor or complainant remain anonymous on the online case report?


  • What information is required when reporting SVGBV?

    • Survivor/Complainant Personal and Contact Information
    • Location of Incident
    • Time of Incident
    • Date of Incident
    • Respondent Personal/Contact Information
    • Statement
    • Consideration of proceeding with the reporting process
  • Does a survivor or complainant need to have all the information for the online case report?

    No. A report can be made even if the survivor or complainant does not recall or have an answer for each field.

Student Wellness Service

  • What facilities are offered by Student Wellness Service?

    The Student Wellness Service offers a comprehensive outpatient medical service by both medical practitioners and nurses, who are dedicated to helping students to remain healthy, and to make the life choices while pursuing their academic goals. Students are encouraged to seek assistance and guidance as early as possible.

  • Does UCT offer medical support?

    Yes, we do. Read about the full list of medical services offered.

  • Does UCT offer counselling support?

    Yes, we do. Read about our counselling services.

  • What are the costs of medical services at UCT?

    There is a cost for professional services rendered. For more details please visit the appointments page. Students receiving NSFAS funding will receive free services.

  • Does UCT offer support for psychiatric emergencies?

    Yes, we do. Read about the full list of medical services offered.

  • Is there 24-hour support for mental health crises?

    Yes, the SADAG UCT Student Careline (0800 24 25 26) is free from a Telkom line or you can SMS 31393 for a call-me-back.

  • Does UCT offer support in the case of sexual assault?

    Yes, you can contact Campus Protection Services (CPS) on +27 21 650 2222/3 (24-hour hotline) for any emergency.

Transport Services

  • What are the transport facilities at UCT?

    A bus shuttle service, called the UCT Shuttle, is available free to all UCT students and staff. A fleet of buses, including a special one for disabled passengers, operates between residences, all UCT campuses and some public bus, train and parking facilities close to the university.

  • How do I ride the UCT Shuttle?

    See the UCT Shuttle pages, including route maps and timetables.

  • How do I apply for parking?