• What are the different types of residences at UCT?

    UCT accommodates 6 800 students in its residence system which is organized into three tiers. The first tier is for first- and second-year undergrads and includes catering. The second tier is for senior undergrads and can either include catering or be self-catering. The third tier is for Post grads and are all self-catering. Some limited family accommodation is also available.

  • Do I qualify for Student Housing as a first time entering undergraduate?

    Before we make an offer of housing, we first need to assess several criteria. Housing offers to new undergraduate applicants will be made according to the criteria as set out below:

    • Financial Aid: All students who are made an academic offer and are awarded financial aid will be made an offer for housing
    • Minors: All students who are minors on 1 February in the year of registration and are made an academic offer will be made an offer for housing
    • Excellence: all entering undergrad applicants who score 540 APS will be made an offer of housing.
    • Faculty criteria will also be used and are based on strategic priorities in the faculties. These priorities are approved annually by the Admissions Committee.
    • Medical needs: To be confirmed (ratified) by Disability Service and Student Wellness
    • Director’s Discretion: These are high level special requests to which the director must apply his/her mind when considering a request for housing

    View the full housing eligibility criteria.

  • How is a housing offer made?

    • First an academic offer is made
    • Housing offer either by institutional auto offer, or
    • Faculty makes a housing offer
    • Email confirming that a housing offer has been made
    • Followed by an offer letter from SHAAS that specifies your residence allocation

    Note: You may also receive an unspecified offer (Transit)

  • What is Transit housing?

    Transit housing is a temporary, dormitory type accommodation in a residence. If you are offered transit accommodation, you will be notified in writing prior to arriving at the university.

  • How long can I stay in Transit housing?

    You can stay in transit housing for a period of 2-3 weeks.

  • Off-Campus Student Accommodation Services (OCSAS)

    If you have applied for residence and have not been successful, your name will be on the waiting list; this is, however, not a guarantee of accommodation. We advise you to also visit the Off-Campus Student Accommodation Service. Off-campus accommodation has properties located in the vicinity of the university. See more information about off-campus accommodation.

  • I heard that students in Cape Town are not allocated res as preference is given to students from outside of Cape Town and in some instances, outside of South Africa. Is this true?

    Up to 10% of our students in residence are from Cape Town.

  • How do I contact Student Housing?

    For any general queries about student housing offers, please contact +27 21 650 2977 or res@uct.ac.za.

  • What happens if I am not offered a place of accommodation? Can I appeal?

    Yes, you can direct all appeals, based on special circumstances, with a full motivation and supporting documents where appropriate, to the Student Housing Accommodation & Advocacy Services (SHAAS) office. The Independent Appeals Committee of Student Housing and Residence Life considers all appeals.

  • What does it cost to stay in residence?

    You will be required to pay an annual residence fee as well as a meal plan fee (where applicable) and such amenities and laundry levies as may be defined by the University Council. The full amount due will depend on the residence, house or flat to which you are eventually allocated. You are liable for the applicable fees when you have accepted an accommodation offer.

    UCT publishes a booklet, which is updated every year, giving the fee for each academic course and accommodation in different types of student housing. You can obtain a Fees booklet from the Fees Office by calling or emailing to request one Tel: +27 21 650 1074, email: fnd-feeenq@uct.ac.za.

    Also see the Fees web pages.

  • Am I able to select the specific residence in which I would like to reside?

    No, you are allocated a residence by SHAAS (Student Housing Admission and Advocacy Services) office.