Common questions about student records are answered below:

  • What does the Student Records Office do?

    The Student Records Office (SRO) offers various records-related services, including:

    • providing copies of official transcripts
    • providing duplicate degree certificates
    • managing graduation ceremonies
    • processing readmission appeals on behalf of the faculty readmission committees
    • sending out result mailers per request at the end of each academic year.
  • What does the Student Records Office not do?

    The SRO cannot help with the services below:

    What we cannot do Who you should contact
    Send you a copy of your fee account or explain anything related to your fee account Fees Office:
    +27 (0)21 650 1704
    Answer any admissions-related queries Admissions Office:
    +27 (0)21 650 2128
    Answer any queries related to matric certificates or matric exemption Your faculty office or Admissions Office:
    +27 (0)21 650 2128
    Answer any registration-related queries Your faculty office
    Answer any curriculum-related queries Your faculty office
    Fix any incorrect marks that appear on your transcript Your faculty office
    Answer any housing-related queries Student Housing Accommodation and Advocacy Services:
    +27 (0)21 650 2977
    Provide any information regarding orientation Student Orientation and Advocacy Centre:
    +27 (0)21 650 5082
    Provide information specific to international students International Academic Programmes Office:
    +27 (0)21 650 5667
    Provide assistance with PeopleSoft access or PeopleSoft technical problems

    Student Systems and Support:
    +27 (0)21 650 5227/4720

    Photocopying Document Centre:
    +27 (0)21 650 4071
    Level 3, Masingene Building, Middle Campus
    Stationery provision UCT Bookstore:
    +27 (0)21 650 2485/6
    Level 3, Steve Biko Building, Upper Campus


  • How do I contact the Student Records Office?

    SRO offices can be found on level 4 of the Masingene Building on Middle Campus.

    Tel: +27 (0)21 650 3595


  • How can I get a copy of my official results?

    If you would like a copy of your official academic transcript:

    Follow these instructions.

    If you have special requests (eg, you would like 3 copies, separately sealed, or you will be arranging for your transcripts to be couriered), please communicate this clearly to the SRO in writing.

    Your academic transcript is a complete record of your time at UCT and will include all your grades, and a brief statement on your conduct. UCT only offers full academic transcripts, without any deletions or changes.

  • Why do I have to pay a fee for my transcripts/duplicates?

    The fee covers administrative processes and, in the case of transcripts or duplicates, the cost of printing.

    This fee can be paid:
    • by electric funds transfer (EFT)
    • by completing the credit card form.
    The amount cannot be deducted from your student fee account.
  • How do I get a certificate of good conduct?

    UCT does not issue certificates of good conduct. A statement on your transcript refers to your conduct.

    Should this statement not be enough, the SRO can offer you a letter that explains the university’s policy with regard to certificates of conduct.

  • What is a course outline and do I need it?

    Along with your transcript, the SRO can give you copies of your course outlines.

    A course outline is a brief (5–6 lines) summary from the faculty handbook of that year which details the contents of a course and the assessment criteria. Very few students and alumni need this, but if you do, a stamped copy can be obtained for a fee.

  • Can the Student Records Office give me a copy of my degree certificate?

    UCT only issues 1 original degree certificate. This will be given to you at your graduation ceremony or can be obtained by written request to Reg-Records

    In the event that you lose your original certificate, the university can provide a duplicate. UCT only issues 1 duplicate.

    If you need to request a duplicate, follow these instructions about academic records.

  • What do I do if I need proof of registration?

    Currently registered students should have access to PeopleSoft. You can generate a proof of registration letter with details on the programme in which you are registered and the courses you will be taking.

    Follow these instructions:

    1. Log in to PeopleSoft with your student number and password, and click on 'self-service'
    2. Select the ‘proof of registration’ option and the year you require (this can be found on the drop-down menu 'Academic records' on the Student Centre)
    3. Follow the link and click on the green e-mail icon to send it to your student email account
    4. Log in to your student e-mail account
    5. Print out the proof of registration letter and bring it to the Student Records Office or take it to your faculty office to be stamped.
  • What do I do if I need proof of residence?

    If you reside in a UCT residence, see the Student Housing Office for a proof of residence document. If you do not live in a UCT residence, you can update your term residential address on PeopleSoft and request a proof of registration letter. The letter will reflect your term address.

    If you print a proof of registration letter to prove your address, the letter does state that it is a self-declared address, and as such some banks/institutions do not accept it as sufficient proof.

  • Does the Student Records Office have anything to do with examinations?

    Yes and no.

    The Examinations Office is responsible for the logistical arrangements around exams. If you need to apply for a deferred exam, or need extra time in your exams, you can apply through the SRO.

    If you believe that there has been an error in the marking of your script or any other examined material, you must approach your department and ask to see your script.

  • Is the Student Records Office able to assist me after I’ve left the university?

    The SRO provides a variety of services to the alumni community, including:

    • providing copies of official transcripts
    • providing duplicate degrees
    • providing letters confirming that your degree was taught and examined in English
    • providing letters confirming your registration period at UCT and the qualifications conferred upon you.