The Young Researcher Award is offered annually in recognition of outstanding scholarly work by young academics who have made significant independent contributions to research in their field.
A maximum of six awards of approximately R30 000 each is made each year.
Nominations may be submitted by any UCT academic staff member. Nominators may nominate themselves. The criteria for nominees are:
- Permanent and T2 contract UCT academic staff
- preferably under the age of 40 (note: if the applicant is over 40, a strong motivation must accompany the nomination).
Application and nomination procedure
Nominators must submit:
- a full CV of the nominee, including publications or equivalent scholarly outputs for the past three years
- a statement of the nominee's scholarly accomplishments (one page)
- contact details for three individuals who may be requested to provide referee reports; one referee must be international and only one referee may be from UCT
- applications should be submitted via email to email@example.com on or before the closing date.
The selection committee consists of current UCT Fellows (nominated by the UCT College of Fellows) who represent a broad range of academic disciplines, and is chaired by the deputy vice-chancellor for research and internationalisation.
The vice-chancellor will award the prize at the annual fellows dinner.
For the latest details or more information regarding each award category, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.