1. Is there a tutorial on how to capture research outputs?
Yes, you can watch an orientation video here.
2. How do I link an edited book to a chapter in a book?
You can either create the edited book first and place it in the status of “Faculty Coordinator verification”. The edited book will then appear in the list of edited books so that you can link it to a chapter, and all related chapters,
You can also create an edited book entry for the first time, when capturing a chapter in a book. Add the required details of the edited book by clicking the plus sign under the Book Related Information and Related book section. Once the captured details of the edited book is complete, click done and select “Faculty Coordinator verification” and click done. You can now continue to capture the required details of the chapter. The edited book can now be linked to any other relevant chapters.
3. How do I link a proceeding to a proceedings paper?
You can either create the proceedings first and place it in the “Faculty Coordinator verification” status. The proceedings will then appear in the list of proceedings so that you can link it to the chapter,
You can also create a proceedings entry for the first time, when capturing a proceedings paper. Add the required details of the proceedings by clicking the plus sign under the Conference Proceedings Related Information and Related Proceedings section. Once the captured details of the proceedings is complete, click done and select “Faculty Coordinator verification” and click done. You can now continue to capture the required details of the proceedings paper and any other relevant proceedings papers.
4. The authorship order in one of my outputs needs to be rearranged.
If you cannot find an author in the eRA system or need the authorship order amended, a call should be logged and will be escalated to the Research Support Services team for resolution.
5. How do I add a missing author to an output in the eRA system?
If you cannot find an author in the eRA system, please log a call for the author to be added by the eRA team. Please make sure that the author is affiliated to UCT.
6.How do I link an author to another department?
If your author is linked to another faculty or department, please log a call to have them affiliated to a different faculty or department. This will have to be authorized by the head of the department. Having written proof that the head of the department approves of this affiliation prior to logging the call will be beneficial.
7. How do I change the name of an author in eRA?
If your author would like his/her name changed on the eRA system, this needs to be changed in the source system that eRA extracts the information from. For permanent staff, please complete the HR101 form. For contract staff, the third-party administrator in your area may be able to change the name. For students, please contact Student Systems Support. If there is a discrepancy between the information in the source system and what is on the eRA system, please log a call here.
8. A few of my outputs are duplicated in the list of publications, how do I fix this?
Depending on the status of the outputs in eRA, there are two ways to resolve this.
Scenarios where you can resolve this:
- If there are duplicates in the publication list that are both in “Draft” status, the researcher should be able to deduplicate these themselves by clicking the “Deduplicate” function then merging the outputs.
- If one of the duplicate publications are in “Draft” status and the other already is at the “Faculty Coordinator verification” status, the researcher could delete the publication that is in “Draft” status.
Scenarios where the Research Office will have to resolve this:
- If there are duplicates in the publication list, both in the “Faculty Coordinator Verification” status, a call will need to be logged and escalated to the Research Support Services team for assistance with deduplication.
9. I cannot find a specific journal when I search for it.
A call should be logged and will be escalated to the Research Support Services team for the journal to be added.
10. I have more than one active work affiliation, and the publication claim must be split between two departments, but one work affiliation is missing.
Please log a call and indicate the details of the missing work affiliation (department/unit, start and end date, position). The eRA team will manually add the missing work affiliation to your profile.
11. What do I do with older publications that I have harvested from an external source or manually captured on the system?
Publications that have already been captured, qualifying for the current PubCount cycle, should be tagged with a “PubCount Cycle Year” on the PubCount tab and submitted to the “Faculty Coordinator Verification” step. (see Publication Count Guidelines for more information).
Publications that DO NOT qualify for PubCount must NOT be tagged with a “PubCount Cycle Year” on the PubCount tab and must be saved in “Faculty Coordinator Verification” step OR sent to the “OpenUCT review by Library” step, where relevant.
12. How do I submit an output for Publication Count using eRA?
If a publication meets DHET criteria (see Publication Count Handbook), the researcher records it on the system and sends it to the “Faculty Coordinator Verification” stage. In addition to this, a physical copy of the journal article/conference paper/book chapter must be submitted to the relevant department/faculty administrator. If the output is not for PubCount, the researcher should send the output to the “OpenUCT Review by Library” step. This allows for the publication to appear publicly and increases the researcher’s visibility.
13. What do I do with publications that pre-date 2016?
Publications that pre-date the first official Pub count cycle captured in the eRA system (prior to 2016), should be submitted to the “Faculty Coordinator Verification” step (see Publication Count Guidelines for more information)
Publication types that can be pushed to the “Faculty Coordinator Verification” step include:
- Journal Article Review
- Journal Article
- Journal Letters
- Edited Book
- Conference Proceedings article
- Conference Proceedings
All other publication types can be pushed to the “OpenUCT Review by Library” step.
14. How do I re-calculate units on publications? - for the Research Office role only
UCT authors calculates automatically based on the number of cards attached to a record. If you need to change the number of authors (for example, if you want to change 2 authors to 1.5 because one of the authors is shared with another university), under the External Split Details, add the details and the number of South African institutions the author is affiliated to. Check the Recalculate above status 3 box and click save.