The Contract Approval form is only completed for specific scenarios where a researcher requires sign-off of an awarded research contract (Contract approval) by the Research Contracts & Innovation (RC&I) office: (1) when the internal proposal approval process was not applicable (e.g. research contracts for which there was no funding call and the process began with contract negotiation with the funder/sponsor), or (2) when a proposal approval form was submitted, but the funder requests changes to the project or budget at award/contract stage. The form serves to help manage risk (in terms of resource use, research ethics, health & safety, and finances) to the University.
- The form is accessed via UCT’s electronic Research Administration (eRA) system, completed electronically and distributed between reviewers and approvers via the eRA system.
- Before completing the form, check internal deadlines and discuss the research contract terms and conditions with your Finance Department (e.g. Departmental Finance Officer), who can help develop an appropriate budget and will complete the financial part of the form.
- A copy of the contract/agreement, scope of work, budget(s) and, if applicable, letters of approval (e.g. ethics) should be uploaded to the online form.
- Following completion by the Principal Investigator (PI) and the Finance Department, the people who will need to approve the form are the Finance Approver (e.g. Research Management Accountant or Faculty Finance Manager), and the Final Faculty Approver (e.g. Deputy Dean of Research).
- The UCT Research Contracts & Innovation Office (RC&I), specifically a Contracts Manager, will then be assigned to review the contract/agreement and provide input.
Key: PI receives a notification