The IT trading post provides a way to dispose of unwanted Information Technology (IT) equipment so that is continues to benefit the UCT community.
When items such as laptops, desktop computers, keyboards, mouse devices, monitors, screens, printers and cables, are no longer required, staff members should let their IT manager or coordinator know.
IT disposal responsibility
The following people are responsible for the disposal of IT equipment and should sign off on disposal of each item:
|Head of Department (HoD)
||Departmental IT equipment
|Faculty IT manager
||Faculty IT equipment
||Research IT equipment
See: Disposal/internal transfer of ownership of UCT IT Equipment (ICT002)
If the unwanted item is on the UCT Asset Register, the asset disposal policy applies.
To view available items on the IT trading post for staff purchase:
- Go to the eProcurement launch page and log into 'eShopping and Trading Post'. Then choose the 'IT trading post'.
- Add a keyword and click 'Find', or simply click 'Find' to view the whole catalogue. Click on the magnifier to view the item.
- Email the IT manager/coordinator listed in the item description, who will forward the relevant payment instructions to you. This will be either via a cash deposit or an EFT. (Note: Do NOT submit a cart for the IT trading post, this is just for viewing the items.)
- The IT manager/coordinator will arrange for the items to be removed from the IT trading post.
Role of the IT manager/coordinator
The role of the IT manager or coordinator in the disposal of unwanted IT equipment includes the following:
- Request Information and Communication Technology Services (ICTS) to evaluate the item or dispose of broken/unwanted items.
- Circulate a list of available IT equipment, in the following order:
- within their department, via the departmental email list
- within their faculty/area, via the faculty/area email list
- to the IT manager/coordinator distribution list to make it available to other faculties/areas for circulation in their areas
- if the IT equipment is of no further use to UCT, the IT manager/coordinator should email the list to the IT Trading Post catalogue manager to be made available on the IT Trading Post for staff to purchase.
- Interdepartmental payment should be done via journal. Payment by staff should be by EFT or cash using SD002 receipt requisition form according to the IT manager/coordinator's instructions.