Ms Sheila Barsel
Sheila Barsel is the political advisor to the Deputy Speaker of the National Assembly. She has 50 years of experience in:
- policy development and implementation
- planning, strategic and operational management
- monitoring and evaluation
- people and human resource management
- administration in the private and public sectors, and civil society.
This experience includes her appointment as senior health researcher with the National Health, Education and Allied Workers’ Union (NEHAWU), 6 years as general secretary of the National Union of South African Students, 19 years in the retail and manufacturing sectors, and 15 years working in the Western Cape’s Department of Health.
She has been a member of the Council since 2010, having been appointed by the Minister of Higher Education and Training. She served on the Ministerial Committee for National Health Insurance from 2009 to 2014 and is currently involved in the workstreams that advise the minister on the implementation of policies.
She has a BA degree and postgraduate qualifications in adult education and coaching.