At UCT, we provide a range of student housing options for undergraduate and postgraduate students, both on and off campus. Close on 7 000 students are accommodated in the university’s residences.
About residence life
Everyone who has experienced it, will tell you that residence life creates special memories. It is an extension of your university education, where you can benefit from all the facilities and services such as student learning centres, social and sporting activities, life-skills and peer-tutoring programmes. It is a community in which you meet a range of diverse fellow students and have the opportunity to forge life-long friendships.
How residences are organised
- All first-tier residences – which are intended for undergraduate students under the age of 21 – provide three meals a day in dining halls and offer self-operating laundries and a communal television space.
- They each have a warden who lives on site, and some of the larger residences have assistant wardens. They act as guardians, in the strict legal sense, to all minor students in the residence in the event of an emergency. The warden is typically a UCT faculty staff member.
- Each res also has a student governing body, called the house committee. Together, wardens and house committees aim to create friendly and comfortable environments in which you are able to pursue your academic objectives and achieve personal growth.
- House committees organise numerous activities throughout the year in order to maintain a balanced residence experience.
Not all students choose to live on campus, however, and we realise it can be stressful finding a suitable home close to the university, especially if you are not acquainted with Cape Town.
To make your life easier, we put together a list of student accommodation options to help you on your way. Visit one of these websites for more information:
UCT’s Off-Campus Student Accommodation Service comprises private properties located in the vicinity of the university.
This body provides a practical and viable alternative to the residence system by way of comprehensive information and guidance on off-campus accommodation. Straightforward information allows students to make well informed choices about where they want to live and who to rent from.
This process is streamlined by a database of landlords seeking students to lease their properties. Largely it provides students with no UCT residence space, an opportunity to review choices that are suited to their need and affordability level.
Any contract entered into is between the user and the advertiser, accordingly UCT is not part of such a contract.
- DigsConnect is the largest student marketplace in South Africa and has connected thousands of students with landlords across the country.
- Nest offers stylish, safe and secure accommodation options in prime locations in Cape Town and is perfect for students who are always on the move.
- CampusKey boasts two blocks of trendy apartments within walking distance of upper, middle and lower campus, as well as the UCT Shuttle stops.
- Student & Life is located in the heart of Cape Town and offers safe, affordable and exciting lifestyle accommodation for all students.
For parents and guardians
For parents and guardians from out of town who will be travelling with students to Cape Town to ensure they settle in well, there are plenty of private accommodation options near campus for you to choose from for your temporary stay.
- Southern Sun Newlands is located just a few minutes’ drive from the UCT main campus. The hotel boasts all the necessary amenities for a short, medium or long stay.
- Park Inn by Radisson Cape Town, Newlands is a chic and colourful establishment situated a stone’s throw away from Sahara Park Newlands. The hotel has everything guests need, including free Wi-Fi.
- Protea Hotel Mowbray is housed in a historical Cape Dutch House located adjacent to the N2 highway. The hotel offers guests a comfortable stay and is close to an array of amenities.
- The Vineyard Hotel can be found on the banks of the Liesbeek River and offers rooms with garden or Table Mountain views. The Vineyard is decorated with beautiful artworks and the Angsana Spa offers a range of health and beauty treatments.