International postgraduate students who will live in South Africa while studying at UCT need a study visa.

You cannot register with UCT until you have a valid temporary residence permit (study visa). Study visas are issued by the South African embassy, high commission or consulate in your home country.

First-time applications for a South African study visa will require an official letter from UCT confirming provisional acceptance and the duration of the course. This is a letter from the relevant faculty offering a study place, together with proof of your acceptance of the offer.

Visit IAPO’s visas and study permits page here for more detailed information on study visas including:

  • what you need to apply
  • where to apply
  • visas for students who will be in South Africa less than 90 days
  • working in South Africa while on a study visa
  • and all other questions