Engage in an innovative, dynamic and immersive African experience
At the International Academic Programmes Office, we create short-term academic programmes to give international universities and organisations a South African perspective on pertinent themes. Come and experience the spectacular hospitality of the City of Cape Town and draw on the vast academic competencies within UCT to gain insight into our context and world.
We offer a variety of programmes and services which can be customised for your needs and interests. Programmes are not credit bearing (credits are to be awarded by the home institution).
Our services include:
- Standardised programmes in specialised disciplines
- Customised programmes, design and facilitation of customised programmes, for a minimum of ten participants
- Faculty-led engagement and programmes
- Academic experts in topical areas
- Teaching venues, accommodation and access to campus facilities
- Specialised excursions to heritage sites in Cape Town and other parts of South Africa
- Service learning and community engagement opportunities
Our current clients and partners include:
- Global academic partners
- High level international organisations
Choose the option that suits your needs
We offer standardised, customised, faculty-led, service-learning and island programmes to provide you with an immersive experience and a memorable learning journey in Cape Town.
These programmes are led and taught by the partner institution's faculty members and hosted at UCT. They are developed at the partner university/college/ department. They have a direct correlation to students' majors, minors, or specific areas of interest or study. If required, UCT faculty can provide expertise or added support.
Faculty-led programmes we have offered to global intuitions include:
- Queens College, CUNY, USA: Humans & Nature in Society
- John Jay College, CUNY, USA: Criminal and Social Justice
- Bocconi University, Italy: Business Entrepreneurship
- Boston College, USA: Interfaith
Service-learning projects are developed by connecting student learning objectives to an established community need with a community partner. As such, the resulting partnership is beneficial for all parties. The project activities and deliverables can vary widely as service learning can take on many forms. Examples of service-learning partners: Various Schools & NGO’s in the Western Cape.
Our island programmes offer professional logistical services to partner institutions such as visits to iconic sites and museums, welcome orientation, a safety and security talk and guided campus tours. We also offer access to Wi-Fi, UCT venues, the UCT Jammie Shuttle (transport) and Wellness Centre. We can offer UCT vetted/approved accommodation.
We have provided island programmes to the following institutions:
- Council on International Education Exchange (CIEE), USA
- Institute for International Education of Student (IES Abroad), USA
- University of Texas, USA
- University of North Carolina, USA