• UCT accommodates 6 800 students in its residence system
  • The residence system is organized in a tiered structure
  • 1st Tier: undergrads (1 and 2 year) catering
  • 2nd Tier: Senior undergrads catering and self-catering
  • 3rd Tier: Post grads. All self-catering
  • Limited family accommodation
  • Housing eligibility criteria for first time entering undergraduates (FU)

    Question Answer
    Housing offers to new undergraduate applicants will be made according to the criteria as set out below: This depends on your staff category:

    Housing offers to new undergraduate applicants will be made according to the criteria as set out below:

    o   Financial Aid: All students who are made an academic offer and are awarded financial aid will be made an offer for housing

    o   Minors: All students who are minors on 1 February in the year of registration and are made an academic offer will be made an offer for housing

    o   Excellence: all entering u/g applicants who score 540 APS will be made an offer of housing.

    o   Faculty criteria will be proposed on the basis of strategic priorities in the faculties and approved annually by the Admissions Committee. Faculty strategic criteria include rules–based and discretionary

    o   Medical needs: To be confirmed (ratified) by Disability Service and Student Wellness

    o   Director’s Discretion: These are high level special requests to which the director must apply his/her mind when considering a request for housing

    Please refer to full criteria

  • Housing offer

    Question Answer
    How is a housing offer made

    o   First an academic offer is made

    o   Housing offer either by Institutional auto offer, or

    o   Faculty makes a housing offer

    o   Email confirming that a housing offer has been made

    o   Followed by an offer letter from SHAAS

    o   This specifies your residence allocation

    Note:  You may also receive an unspecified offer (Transit)

  • Transit

    Question Answer
    How long can I stay in Transit

    Approximately 5-10% of our new students are placed in temporary, dormitory type accommodation in a residence, for a transitional period of 2-3 weeks. When an applicant is offered transit accommodation, he or she will be notified in writing prior to arriving at the university.  For further information, please read about transit accommodation on our Residence allocation page.

  • Off-Campus Student Accommodation Services (OCSAS)

    Question Answer
    I’ve received an email stating that there’s no longer any available space in res and I really need the accommodation. What do I do?

    If you have applied for residence and have not been successful, your name will be on the waiting list; this is not a guarantee of accommodation though.  You should also visit the Off-Campus Student Accommodation Service in the Masingene Building on Middle Campus for more information. Off Campus accommodation comprises of properties located in the vicinity of the University.

  • Cape Town based students

    Question Answer
    I heard that students in Cape Town are not allocated res as preference is given to students from outside of Cape Town and in some instances, outside of South Africa. Is this true?

    Up to 10% of our students in residence are from Cape Town, primarily through the institutional auto offer and a limited number of Faculty offers.

  • Student Housing contact info

    Question Answer
    I can’t get through to Student Housing; the line just rings and rings. Where can I call for assistance?

    For any general queries about student housing offers, please contact 021 650 2977 or res@uct.ac.za.

  • Appeal process

    Question Answer
    What happens if I am not offered a place of accommodation? Can I appeal?

    Yes, you can direct all appeals, based on special circumstances, with a full motivation and supporting documents where appropriate, to the Student Housing Accommodation & Advocacy Services (SHAAS) office. The Independent Appeals Committee of Student Housing and Residence Life considers all appeals.

  • Residence fee structure

    Question Answer
    What does it cost to stay in res?

    Students in residences, houses or flats will be required to pay an annual residence fee as well as a meal plan fee (where applicable) and such amenities and laundry levies as may be defined by the University Council.  The full amount due will depend on the residence, house or flat to which a student is eventually allocated.  A student is liable for the applicable fees when an accommodation offer has been accepted.  For further information on Fees and payment dates, refer to Fees Handbook