A key function of the Unit is to support and facilitate the planning, approval and accreditation of new courses, streams in existing qualifications and new qualifications; including the registration thereof. We work with faculties and departments in the University to manage and ensure the quality of new and existing academic offerings. These departments include Students Records Office, Legal Services and the Centre for Innovation in Learning and Teaching. We also work closely with the respective directorates in the Department of Higher Education and Training, Council on Higher Education, and South African Qualifications Authority. Our work includes:
- The conceptualisation of resources for effective academic planning at both a faculty and institutional level including the development of existing and new teaching and learning policy and frameworks
- Providing curriculum, programme, course design and regulatory advice to academic staff
- Quality assurance of all new streams and qualifications and steering of these applications through the internal and external stages of approval
- Submission of applications for accreditation to the HEQC
- Supporting faculties and SRO to ensure that all records at the institution are in line with accreditation outcomes.
- We also maintain an internal database of all qualifications registered with SAQA, update the institution Programme and Qualification Mix, and respond to internal and external queries on this.
Proof of accreditation offered by the University is provided by registration on the NQF. The SAQA database lists all accredited qualifications including the SAQA ID awarded. This unique number identifies the qualification and allows visitors to the SAQA database access to the specifications, purpose and outcomes of the qualification. As qualifications are accredited and aligned to the HEQSF, and a SAQA number is assigned to the qualification, this database is updated.