I am an international student interested to study at UCT
Studying in another country is a big step. We are here to guide you in:
- Selecting the right academic programme for your circumstances
- Understanding the admission requirements for international students
- Applying for a study visa
- Calculating your tuition fees and the cost of living in Cape Town
- Applying for scholarships and donor-funded programmes
- Finding suitable accommodation close to campus
- Preparing for life in Cape Town
For more information, please contact the International Academic Programmes Office (IAPO).
What support services are offered to international students?
The International Office sits at the heart of the University. Our international student support team:
- Provides information and advice on immigration regulations, including how to renew your visa and working in South Africa as an international student
- Hosts an extensive orientation programme with activities to welcome new international students
- Organises activities open to all students throughout the year
- Advises on what to do and who to contact in the event of emergencies or difficulties during your time in Cape Town
What academic programmes are offered to international students?
Academic programmes for international students include:
- Undergraduate and postgraduate programmes leading to a UCT qualification
- Faculty-led, customised, standardised and island short-term programmes
- Service-learning programmes
- Study abroad and student exchange
- Occasional courses or research for non-degree purposes
To contact programme-specific staff, see the contact details page.
I am an international student needing help to become part of the UCT community, can you help me?
You can learn about the UCT community and support services available to you at the International Student Orientation which takes place at the start of each semester.
The International Academic Programmes Office (IAPO) hosts activities during orientation to support student integration. In addition, UCT offers over 100 options for clubs and societies that you could join.
What are the pre-requisites for an international student to be registered at UCT?
All international students must pre-register (pre-reg) before they can be registered. Pre-reg is a fee and immigration clearance process. Read more about pre-reg.
There is so much information. Where do I start?
Is there an online postgrad community I can join?
Yes, you can follow @UCTpostgrads on Twitter.
How do I find out about workshops and seminars for postgrads?
Keep an eye on the postgrad events calendar for a variety of activities from writing workshops to wellness webinars.
How do I apply for postgraduate funding?
Various sources of funding of different values are available for students intending to pursue honours, master's and doctoral degrees at UCT. The funding noticeboard and the Financial Assistance for Postgraduate Study and Postdoctoral Research handbook list many internal and external funding opportunities. You are advised to check the noticeboard regularly for updates. You may also request a one-on-one session with the Postgraduate Funding Office (PGFO) staff. View the postgraduate degree funding pages for more information.
Read our postgraduate funding guide for tips and key information to help you navigate and find funding.